Hebron Preservation Society

Hebron New York History

Hebron was composed of patents granted to officers and privates who served in the French and Indian War, mostly to Scotch Highlanders belonging to the 77th Regiment of Foot. These grants were made so long after the war that many who were entitled to them never appeared to claim them.

The earliest settlement was made around the year 1770 by David Whedon, John Hamilton, and Robert Creighton. Hebron was formed in 1786 and named for Hebron, Connecticut. Previous to that time, it was called Black Creek. East Hebron and Munro's Meadows (North Hebron) were the first areas to be settled. The high hills divided the early settlers into several neighborhoods. The northern and eastern parts were settled by families from New England and the southern and western parts by Protestant Scotch and Irish belonging to the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.

Aerial View of West Hebron, 1978
The water power of the east and west branch of Black Creek and its tributaries was harnessed to run various grist, saw, and fulling mills. Farming was, and still is, Hebron's principal pursuit. In 1849, Hebron was the leading potato producing town in Washington County, yielding 109,000 bushels. Flax was also a leading crop. In 1845, there were 19,161 sheep, but the human population only amounted to 2,359. In the nineteenth century, dairy farming became important in Hebron's economy, and in the latter half of the century, much of the milk produced went to the local cheese factories. Only one of these cheese factories is standing today, as a vacant building.