The Hebron Preservation Society (HPS) was organized in 1974 as a non-profit membership organization. Its objectives include the discovery, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge about the history, traditions, and lifestyle of Hebron over the years; and the environmental, economic, social, and other factors, which have helped to shape the town and its character.
HPS conducts monthly meetings, April through October, presenting programs that focus on Hebron's natural and man-made surroundings, and its history as it has unfolded since 1786—up to and including current events. HPS maintains a one-room schoolhouse located on Route 22 in the hamlet of East Hebron, NY. The schoolhouse, built in 1845, was acquired from the Salem School District, and offers a display of school memorabilia and a collection of varied articles, books, ledgers, and family genealogies pertaining to the residents, businesses, and organizations in Hebron.